Monday, June 23, 2008

A Heart Full of Love

Nathan Here.

I just found out that my dad had open heart surgery on Friday, but that he is recovering well and in typical great spirits. He voted not to tell me, but my brothers and mother out-voted him, so I got an email from my mom with all the latest that was the latest, then much appreciated updates from middle brother Kevin. Leslie got to the internet cafe before I did, so I didn't get too blind-sided by it.

He went in for a routine physical, the first since he was forced to before we went to scouting's Mecca, Philmont a mere 15 years ago. They ran all the tests and found a couple blockages in the back of his heart, so Friday they cracked him open through his chest, took some arteries from his leg and patched him. We're all looking for a great recovery. Glad he took a great first step in quitting smoking this year. Score two points for my dad. Glad he dodged a big bullet.

It's been a brutal week for hearts from what I hear too, what with George Carlin AND Tim Russert biting it and both from heart-related disasters. I am so glad that I can't count my dad among that unfortunate group of gentlemen.

It was also a brutal weekend for my outhouse. I was in it a lot ridding myself of some food poisoning. All better now... for now.

And if you've sent us anything, none of us has gotten any yet. Sorry. I guess no one has come up from the capital city yet with it. Apparently, we may not actually get it for another week. I hope that's not the case and I hope what you sent made it.

Looking forward to talking to my brother Kevin my tonight/his morning.

Nathan

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Our thoughts & prayers are with you. I know it must be difficult for you not to be here. You are so brave & strong to do what you are doing-your parents are so proud!!!! It is wonderful that we can communicate so well in this day & age. Your Dad is very stong & has great doctors. Kirby had a heart attack & quadruple bypass & look at him!!!

God Bless, Kirby & Dina

Mom & Dad S said...

Leslie:

So far we have send two packages - one first couple days, - one 6/20 - socks, index cards, books, candy, vitamins, candles, soap, blouse, shorts, etc. Glad to hear Nathan's dad is ok.

Love

Mom & Dad S

Unknown said...

Heather and Vance Church here (from Emily and Eric's wedding!) We are so glad to hear that Nathan's dad is doing well. Our thoughts are with you all. We just wanted to let you know that we check out your blog, and love to read about your travels. Best of luck to both of you!

Heather & Vance Church

Unknown said...

Nathan & Leslie,

I am happy to hear your father is recovering and is in good spirits! I am sorry to hear your ass is not in good spirits. I can empathize with the third world country ass-attacks! Unfortunately this enemy is like the Taliban...they keep regrouping and coming back for more! Best of luck! Leslie, I miss you and love you guys! I am happy to hear you are spoiled. It seems like you are living in pseudo-luxury. It must be akin to living in Detroit or some other third world US city! Kendall and I are in Nashville for a conference. Mom and Dad are watching, H-dogg warrior, the birds, and our new dog Remington. Dad has only been bitten once by the birds, due to a small feeding miscalculation. Gary and Jane are watching Parker in Lancaster. I love you guys and will talk with you later. Chris.

Unknown said...

Nathan- Your dad is very fortunate and I'm glad you can continue your work knowing that he is improving with every step! I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.
Leslie- Of course you're spoiled. :)
Keep up the good work!