Tuesday, July 1, 2008

We're Half Way There, Oh-oh, Livin' on a Prayer

Nathan here.

We had what amounts to a midterm examination today to gauge our progress. It was a 10-15 minute conversation where we told about our families, what we do, what we like to eat, what our hobbies are, etc. I can now say, "My dad recently had heart surgery, but is fine and at home resting." It's a mouthful. Overall, I did pretty well with one notable half German, half Mongolian phrase. I said "Ви auch" for "me too" instead of "Ви ч ьас." I quickly caught it when the tester gave me a weird look. Still, it was pretty funny.

We also had a review of our technical training up till now. I received some flattering remarks from our Mongolian trainer, which I was glad to receive. I'm getting on well with my language teachers as well. So far so good.

Didn't have a chance to make it to the internet this weekend, and I haven't talked to Leslie for a week now. I lost her phone number and I haven't heard from her either. There doesn't seem to be voice mail on the phones here either. From what I can tell, it's a prepaid system where you buy "units" for texting and calls, and you only pay for calls you make, without incoming charges. We'll all be coming together for a the rest of the week coming up to celebrate Independence Day, so that should be fun. There'll be running, hot water and a "Western-style" toilet, so I'm looking forward to that. Otherwise, I'll miss my bed at my host family's house because it is rather large and has springs. Most beds here are very, very hard from my experience; like just-a-board-with-a-blanket-it-on hard. The hotel bed fits that description.

I'm not looking forward to cramming 14 of us into a what amounts to a minivan with an extra row of seats in the back for our 2 hr. trip tomorrow. But I am looking forward to seeing Leslie. A couple (the husband was one of Leslie's trainers) was sent home in the last week because they're unexpectedly expecting their first child, so I'm a hoping there's no trend developing. I'll try to respectfully keep my distance.

Cheers!

Nathan

8 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Just to let everyone know that Nathan's Dad, Larry, is progressing exceptionally well from his heart surgery. Thanks for all the good wishes. I was wondering what village Nathan & Leslie are staying in. How close are they? Mary Lou (Nathan's Mom)

Unknown said...

I am very interested in hearing about your July 4 experiences! I was listening to satellite radio today, broadminded channel 155. They were discussing "road trips." I could not help but think of all the "stories" you have written about in your blog. You would be an excellent guest, or "broad" as they refer to their guests. Please give Leslie my love...and please find her phone number...it will probably be useful at some point.

jb said...

Eric and Emily let us know about your blog and it is a wonderful idea. We will be following your adventures. Nathan, we're glad your dad is doing well after his surgery. You and Leslie stay well too. - jb and robbie

Yoga with Gaileee said...

I believe my daughter, Amber is in your group. Her blog is:
http://peacecorpsmongolia.wordpress.com/

Enjoying your blog!

Gail Pickens-Barger

Unknown said...

It is my understanding that a state of emergency has been called in Ulaanbaatar. Have your plans changed for the holiday as a result of the political unrest?

Leslie and Nathan Chamberlain said...

Hi Everyone!
We'll be blogging tomorrow but after Chris' post I thought I should comment.

We are perfectly safe. There was some political "unrest" in the capital after the election. It was only one day in a small area. There are no alcohol sales for the next 3 days, so that has been interesting. We are all together and having a great time.

Tonight Nathan had a dinner with other CED volunteers and I am here at the internet cafe with some other PCTs.

No worries, folks. We are fine and there is no reason to be concerned. I have to say I'm impressed that my brother was paying attention to the news coming from UB. We are far from there. :)
Love you,
Leslie

p.s. ML, we'll send you an email where we live. We are not allowed to give too many specifics. We are about a 2 hour walk from each other. Yet, we share the same "big" city. 2 cab rides and 1000 tugriks (under a dollar) later we can see each other. Nathan's Mom turns her phone off often. Sometime I call him but her phone isn't working. :( It's all good. We are together for the next 2 days.

Leslie and Nathan Chamberlain said...

Hi Amber's Mom!
Your daughter is lovely! :)
Leslie

Pooks said...

im glad to see that you two are still kickin it..just logged on for the first time..it sounds a bit rough, boards and blankets and all..LOL just heard about your dad and im glad to hear that everything went okay!! thats some scary stuff but obiviously he is a tough SOB!! its still a little crazy to think that you two are half way around the world..i will check in more often and keep in touch..till next time...be safe and hopefully find a better bed!!