Sunday, June 15, 2008

Week 2 - Boy Named "Sukh"; Oggie, Boggie, Leggie

HE SAID
Boy Named “Sukh”:
My host family gave me a Mongolian name in a late evening ceremony this week. My host dad wrote 4-5 names on little torn-off pieces of paper then rolled them into tiny scrolls. They put all of them into a little bowl, covered them with these couscous looking pellets, and then my host dad shook the dish back and forth quickly. When the first name popped up out of the pellets, he unrolled it to reveal “Cyx” (Sukh = ax).

Men’s names in Mongolian typically represent strong qualities or tough things like ax or stone and interestingly enough, I’m named after a great Mongolian hero, Sukhbataar (Ax hero) for whom our host city is named. Women’s names typically represent flowers or ideas like peace, love, or sunshine.

So far, I couldn’t be happier with my host family. The food has been good, and the company has been awkward but warm as we navigate our language barrier. I have my own room, as all trainees do, with a lock, a bed and a desk. The desk is a little short for me, so it must look a little funny, but I spend a lot of time there studying. We have an assortment of cows and calves, a garden and the outhouse is clean. What more can you ask for, really?

Leslie and I are sharing the weekend at her host family’s house, which isn’t too far away. Week one down. We’re off to a great start!

SHE SAID
Oggie, Boggie, Leggy
The Peace Corps did everything possible to place all the CYD (Community Youth Development) volunteers with families with children. Imagine my surprise when I found out all of my дуу (doo = younger siblings) lived in a city hours away. On Thursday миний дуу (my younger sibling/sister) came home and brought her best friend with her. To make it easy for me, the 22 year olds introduced themselves with their nicknames; my sister Boggie and her friend Oggie (like Lisa Auge). Soon after, my host mother dubbed us Oggie, Boggie, and Leggy.

I’ve had a great time with them learning traditional Mongolian games and staying up late learning Mongolian using silly voices. Oggie thinks English vowels sound like people talking while holding their noses. I told her Mongolian has too many vowels anyway, so we called it even!

My family is amazing! I live in the family’s summer home and have quite a bit of room. My mother is a math teacher and always ready to teach me the next thing, since she doesn’t know any English. She even gave me a notebook to bring to every meal so she can teach me something new three times a day. She is also silly, fun, and charming and I’m so grateful being placed with her! She definitely my speed!

My classes are great and I am thankful for my hysterical and supportive classmates. I couldn’t imagine that I would become so close to so many people so quickly! Life is эх сайхан (very good)!

Editors Note: Pictures are still not loading well, even at low resolution. Hopefully we'll be able to find a way for you to see more of this beautiful country and our host families, but so far, no dice. Please keep reading an commenting. We appreciate knowing that someone other than our country director, Jim, might be reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who's the editor??? :-)

I'm so jealous--it sounds like you guys are having an amazing experience.

Leslie, look for a package soon (soon=sometime in the next 27 months). :-)

Do you think customs will put the kabosh on a basketball??

Anonymous said...

Сайн уу
Сонин сайхан юу байна вэ?
This is maysam from Iran.
I just wanted to tell you I read your blog regularly too.
I hope the best for both of you.
Just do your best there.
Please take care of yourselves.
Баяртай

Unknown said...

I am a friend of Judy Gates in Marblehead, MA -- and am enjoying reading your blog. My son has thought about the peace corps with his girlfriend after they get married. More power to you ! Love your humor. It must be a great asset.