Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Wireless Router Fixed. Mongolian Winter is Cold

We got our wireless router up and going again after our AC/DC adapter got fried only having yielded 10 hours of service three months ago.

I finally was able to go a big electronics store in UB that was essentially a 5-story flea market with some new and some used products. It was on a main drag by foot and called "Computer Land" - just like that, no translation - so it was pretty easy to find. It was right behind a huge Canon store where they sell copiers, printers and cameras and the like.

I went into to one place and they didn't have what I was looking for but pointed me to the second floor to stall 204. All in Mongolian, I was able to describe the power pack I needed and from under a counter in front of me, the guy pulled out exactly that. It was much bigger and heavier than ours, but the specs were the same for the volts and amps, and it even had the precise same tip to our wireless router. For 6,000 tugrugs (<>$5) and three months of waiting, we're back up and running! If all goes well, we'll be able to Skype with our families on Christmas.

And I know it's cold across the States right now, but it was -10 here the other day with a stiff wind and my counterpart was walking all around town with me collecting surveys from banks. (It was -33 two weeks ago). He rhetorically asked me if Mongolia was colder than America. I told him it's not this cold where I'm from in the States, or at least this is as cold as it ever gets. He said somewhat proudly that it's still warm here and it won't really be cold until January when it hits -45 or so.

Regardless of how cold it is outside, I hope it's warm where you are or you have someone fun to snuggle up to.

Seasons Greetings.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

-45?!?! Holy moses!! That is fricken freezing. Happiest Mongoldays! *ps email me and I'll send you an invite to our blog, I keep it private now :)