Monday, September 22, 2008

I like it. I love it. I want some more of it!

There are many ways to teach a foreign language. Seeing as I am not a language teacher by trade, I am going with whatever I find to be the most fun! I have found that pure stupidity works well. Thankfully, my coworkers and American site mates tend to agree with me.


For my most recent English test I showed a series of pictures and asked my coworkers to create sentences based on their knowledge of “likes” and “dislikes.” Here are some examples. (For your comprehension reading pleasure, I have attached the answers.)

Answer: He does not like apples.

I also would have accepted:

Peder does not like apples.

Answer: He likes eggs.

Once again, I also would have accepted:

Peder likes eggs.

Answer: He likes chocolate.

I also would have accepted:

There is something wrong with Tysen.

Answer: He likes fruit.

I also would have accepted:

Nathan likes his awkward Mongolian food poster in his kitchen.

Answer: They like beer.

I also would have accepted:

No one is surprised!



Big thanks to Eric and Emily for being part of my test even though they are all the way in Ohio, and were never asked!

For the record, I had planned on only teaching a few likes and dislikes. In addition, my coworkers asked me to teach them the following words:

  • Vodka
  • Beer
  • Wine
  • Secret Lover
Teaching Mongolian is a blast! Wish you all were here!
Please keep in touch and don't forget to post comments! :)

3 comments:

Triple the said...

You guys are cracking me up!

Anonymous said...

I haven't laughed that hard for awhile. This post and the laundry post are hysterical!!

Leslie and Nathan Chamberlain said...

Thanks, Melody!
Yesterday we were in someone's ger with the tv on. They were watching sumo. They felt it was very important for us to know who Davaadorg is. We mentioned you. You are now:

Minii beriin sain nets japan ambildig.
(My sister-in-law's good friend who lives in Japan)

They were very impressed! "Japan amdildig uu?" (Lives in Japan!?!?) "Tiim, amdildig!" (Yes, lives there!)
Hope you enjoy that title! :)

-Leslie